Wednesday, February 7, 2007

My favorite red sox player

I read boston.com everyday (the online version of the globe) and in the sports section this week they have a poll of who is the fan favorite red sox player of all time at each position. Well, today was 2nd base. And those ofyou that know me, know who I'd pick hands down. That's right, Jody Reed. I don't know why I liked him so much. He was small, a career .280 average (ish) made some great defensive plays...but mostly 11 year old Debi thought he was cute. I wasn't a big fan when he grew the mustache but I got over it. My dad used to bring me to multiple red sox games a summer. He even called the Sox front office and asked for a photo of Jody for me. They sent me an 8x10 of his official headshot. I was so excited. I used to cut up my dad's newspapers if their were photos of Jody Reed in them (or Tom Brunansky...mostly because he chewed bubble gum in the outfield). I shouldn't admit any of this to the world but I am. What's worse is, I still have all those newspaper clips. I was a little obessessed with the man at 2nd base. At one game, we got there early enough to watch BP. And there was jody coming over to the front row right next to the home dugout on the 1st base line and he was signing autographs. I had my photo ready for him to sign but all I could muster out was "Hi" and then he was gone. No autograph. I have since decided that autographs are worthless anyway. Maybe it is my rationale for never getting Jody's. I was scared and dumbstruck. Oh well. I'll just have to stick with looking at old clippings of the Boston Herald and Globe. Maybe I will attend Jody Reed's baseball camp. I could be his trainer.

No comments: