Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I can finally lift my arms over my head

So I went a little crazy and took a 2 hour flying trapeze class with my friends Catie and Nicole. After a brief (and I mean brief...5 minutes) overview of how to "fly". Up we went. Nicole went first and appropriately screamed the whole time. At the high point of the swing you are supposed to hook your knees around and let go. Well, that is easier than it looks. One person out of 9 got it the first time. I climbed on up the ladders to the platform. They expect you to just reach out and grab the trapeze and then "hup". Well after the dude said Hup three times, I finally "hupped" and after an "oh shit" I was flying. I did not get my knees up right away. Two mega swings and still no knees. I was kicking like I was riding a bicycle. The guy told me that was my problem. Then he left me swinging and had me pump with my own legs...and on the third try I finally got my legs up and was able to release the trapeze and bend over upside down and fly. And then you have to do a major situp to grab it again and a back flip off. I was so tired. I was working harder than anybody because he left me up there so long. He let others give up so easily, but not me, he was going to leave me up there til my knees got up or my arms ripped off. I did it 4 or 5 more times. Never got the knees up the first swing. Always had to work for it. Well, the next day, I was sore but not terrible...but the two days after that the pains got worse and worse. My abs, my lats and my triceps felt like they were going to tear off my body. Next time (and there will be a next time), nicole and I are doing a major core workout for a few months before trying to Fly like and eagle again. Any by the way this all took place at jordan's furniture...that's right, a furniture store with trapeze lessons. Who knew?

No comments: